Question:
How often should I replace my acquarium filter?
tg
2006-04-05 09:58:37 UTC
How often should I replace my acquarium filter?
Six answers:
stlceltic
2006-04-07 10:00:39 UTC
depends on how many fish you have. I have a lot of goldfish so I have to change it about every two weeks. In between times when I am doing a partial water change I remove it and rinse it in some of the waste water to remove some the accumilated stuff on the outside and reinsert it. When it gets too dirty to rinse or your water is cloudy it is time to change it.
lost
2006-04-05 17:23:27 UTC
That depends on the filtration unit that you have. Usually they go for about 15-45 days. I CLEAN my filters every month then replace them every other month (much more economical)

Lastly, it also has a lot to do with the kind and qty of fish you got.

Goldfish and Carnivores and bigger fish requires a more frequent filter replacement and overall tank maintenance
nascarfan2438
2006-04-05 18:24:09 UTC
usually every month, or in a tank where the fish are larger then 5 inches, then every 3 weeks, depending on the sixe of the filter. key is to get a filter about 20 gal bigger then your tank. example, if your tank is a 20 gal, then get a 40-60 gal filter.
?
2006-04-05 17:52:17 UTC
Atleast every month or 2, but more if you don't clean the tank very often. When the filter starts getting green and brown stuff on it, its way past due.
n-i-c
2006-04-05 17:52:39 UTC
Follow the directions that came with the unit.
PRNCES JDY
2006-04-05 17:25:26 UTC
Before it turns green. thats the time to clean the tank.